Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First CSA pickup!

Steve the farmer did give fair warning that the early harvest shares would be heavy on greens. He should have clarified and said heavy and green, as the "small" share for this week included about 12 pounds of chlorophyllous delights.

So, the take:
1 bunch bok choy
1 bunch mizuna
1 head Bibb lettuce
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 bunch red Russian kale
1 bunch pea tendrils
1 head chicory
1 bunch spinach

I know I should use this blog as a vehicle to showcase original recipes incorporating the bounty that is the CSA share, but I panicked. And then copped out and made a salad with several of these new, green objects. My selection of green objects was admittedly colored (green) by which I thought would last the least amount of time improperly stored in my refrigerator. Why improperly? My kitchen doubles as a hallway (or my hallway doubles as a kitchen) and is too narrow to allow the door to open completely and allow for the refrigerator-width produce drawer to open more than an inch or so. I could talk about the poor design of the refrigerator, but that would open up a discussion of the poor design of the apartment, and that would be, well, a tangent.

I ripped up a few leaves of each of
mizuna
red leaf lettuce
bibb lettuce
spinach
and added
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cucumber, sliced
1/2 tomato, sliced
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
8 kalamata olives
black pepper
and tossed it all together. I didn't use salt since the olives and feta were salty enough for me.

Not very original, but my body was happy to have something green in it after having consumed about 10 soup dumplings and a pizza snack the day before. I'm going to need to invest in produce bags and a good salad spinner. More interesting recipes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment