Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Carrot Top Tabbouleh


I decapitated the adorable baby carrots from my CSA share, but the greens looked too luscious to throw away. To make up for my cold-blooded murder of their bottom parts, I decided to put them to good use. I had only a few sprigs of parsley left in a glass on my windowsill, so I decided to make some tabbouleh/tabouli/taboule with carrot greens.

1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup bulgur wheat
tops from 1/2 bunch of baby carrots, leaves only, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
6 sprigs parsley, leaves only, chopped
6 mint leaves, chopped
2 scallions, sliced thinly
1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
10 grape tomatoes, halved
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled

In a glass bowl, add boiling water to bulgur wheat. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Toss together carrot tops, parsley, mint, cucumber, scallions, olive oil and lemon juice. Add bulgur wheat and refrigerate. Just before serving, toss in tomatoes and feta cheese.

Serves 2

I found that the carrot greens weren't as flavorful as the parsley, but they were tasty all the same. I might use more next time. I didn't add salt to this recipe because of the feta cheese, but feel free to add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment