Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Slaw with Peanut Dressing

A food processor is worth its weight in dirty dishes for chopping great numbers of things up. Last week it was too hot to cook, and consuming anything warmer than room temperature seemed wholly unappetizing.

I've been feeling too delicate to go to the grocery store; I can't lift the weight of a basket with food in it and I am finding it difficult and painful to maneuver the cart with one hand. Whatever, I don't mind trying. The problem is other people in the grocery store. They bump into me and my shoulder and I black out from pain. I still stand after these encounters, but I'd rather avoid them. I've tried going to the store at "off" times of day, but there isn't really an "off" time at my nearest store. (Well located, developers, well located.) Sadly, whatever psychologist the architect and client consulted to maximize customer spending influenced them to choose a very, very awkward layout. So I consulted my refrigerator/pantry for dinner.

Summer Slaw

Slaw
1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
2 medium carrots, shredded
3 radishes, shredded
1/4 large red onion, shredded
1 atauflo mango, shredded
1/2 serrano pepper, shredded (why not?)
1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped

Peanut Dressing
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 drops toasted sesame oil

Whisk together all dressing ingredients and pour over the shredded mango and vegetables. Toss to distribute and let stand in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Top with chopped peanuts just before serving.

This would probably be even more delicious garnished with cilantro or Thai basil or toasted sesame seeds (or all three).

Those with peanut allergies can substitute cashew butter and cashews.

Serves 2 as an entree, 4 as a side

No comments:

Post a Comment